NPI Certified Professional™ Profile - Desireee Nathanson
The National Posture Institute prides itself on the work its certified professionals do for their clients/patients and communities. In this article we want to share the experience of one of our NPI-Certified Posture Specialists and her client. Desireee Nathanson and her client Daniela Burns have worked together for some time and we were able to interview them about the work they do together.
The National Posture Institute would like to thank all our certified professionals for the work they do and we hope this example will inspire more fitness and allied-health/medical professionals to consider becoming more educated about posture.
Interview of NPI-Certified Posture Specialist Desiree Nathanson and her Client Daniela Burns
1. How long have you been an NPI CPS?
Since March 4, 2013.
2. What are the most difficult client postural problems you've had to work with?
Definitely kyphosis. The age of technology is ruining our posture. Constantly being slumped over computers, smart phones, tablets, etc is causing a hunched epidemic. We spend most of our day doing activities that invite us to round our shoulders forward (typing, driving, carrying things, sitting in a desk) so it's no wonder that this is such a problem.
3. What's the most fulfilling part of your role as a CPS?
People don’t realize how much poor body alignment and improper posture hurts their body so when they start feeling relief from different aches and pains that they’ve had for years, I feel
4. What's the most frequent postural deviation you've encountered?
Kyphotic curve in the thoracic area. Technology and desk jobs are our bodies’ worst enemies. The slumped over, rounded shoulders are entirely too common and in such young people! If we keep going at this rate, it won’t be long before we’ve “evolved” back to walking on all fours.
5. What population/group do you work with most often?
I work with adults. I will infrequently teach dance classes or give workshops for children and teenagers though.
6. What reactions have you received from clients/patients about the work you did with them?
They are incredibly excited when they start feeling the difference in their bodies. They are so grateful that I am the “posture police” and always tell me that they have started telling their friends and family to stand up straight.
7. How does it make you feel to be a NPI-CPS?
Being an NPI-CPS makes me feel like a complete fitness professional. Knowing how to correct improper body alignment has allowed me to fix chronic “injuries” that I’ve had for years which in turn has allowed me to communicate to clients and students how they can heal their bodies and make themselves stronger and more confident by simply standing taller.
8. How do you think your clients feel about their posture now that you've worked with them?
I am lucky to have clients and students who are receptive to posture and body alignment corrections and are eager to improve any misalignments they may have. Because of this they start feeling and seeing improvements in their posture quickly and they are always incredibly excited and eager to pass along their newfound knowledge of proper posture! Who wouldn’t be excited to get rid of annoying aches and pains that they’ve had for years, though?
Daniela Burns - Desiree Nathanson's Client
1. How long have you been working with your Certified Posture Specialist (CPS)?
I have been working with Desiree Nathanson since June 2013.
2. How did your muscles, body, and joints feel before starting with your CPS and how do you feel now?
My body in general felt out of shape and fatigued. I feel much better now and also know that my posture improved tremendously.
3. How do you feel about your relationship with your CPS?
I love my CPS, Desiree Nathanson. She is a very professional, compassionate, supportive and enthusiastic person and I cannot imagine working out without her.
4. How do you feel overall now that you've taken steps toward improving your posture?
I feel better about myself and am improving my body image.
5. What improvements, if any, have you made on your posture?
I feel like I stand and appear taller now and pay more attention to standing/sitting up straight.
6. Do you feel that your posture has improved your ability to perform daily activities and exercises?
Without a doubt.
7. What has been the most fulfilling part of your journey?
Working with Desiree Nathanson almost daily (dancing or working out ) and seeing the tremendous changes in my body.